Building on 30 years of engaging and empowering young people to be problem solvers for the planet, the Planeteer Alliance is a global community of passionate young people transforming their impatience for change into action for the climate and planet. Captain Planet Foundation and its affiliated offshoot Young Heroes, LLC are the sole operators of Planeteer Alliance and the managers of this well-being policy.
In working with youth from all different contexts, we as organizers have to be mindful that youth may be experiencing other issues that may be affecting their mental, emotional, and even physical well-being. While the probability of problematic exchanges or incidents occurring within the scope of Planeteer Alliance activities is considered low, below are specific precautions and resources we will have in place for the various formats of Planeteer Alliance programs and events, as well as interactions on the Planeteer HQ platform.
Planeteer Alliance Code of Conduct
The Planeteer Alliance is establishing a safe place where young people can gather and share their ideas about environmental activism. The online community platform will bring together a global network of young activists who can share their anxieties about the future of the planet and brainstorm solutions. Because this community will be opening up certain anxieties for the youth, the safety and security of the community will be enforced by the Community Manager of the online platform.
Any user who does not follow the community guidelines will have their account temporarily suspended, and further infractions will possibly result in removal from the platform.
With those important goals in mind, each participant is expected to treat others respectfully, act with integrity, and refrain from all forms of misconduct. Participant agrees that they may be dismissed from the network if they engage in any misconduct, with Young Heroes deciding, in its sole discretion, whether Participant’s conduct warrants dismissal. Participant agrees that they will not do any of the following in relation to Planeteer Alliance members or activities:
- Engage in any form of harassment or bullying;
- Use words, phrases, symbols, images, or gestures that are offensive, hateful, threatening, violent, libelous, or pornographic;
- Discriminate against any other person based on that person’s race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status;
- Violate any other person’s privacy, including by the release of any other person’s private personal information or personally identifiable information (e.g., name, image, age, address, phone number, etc.);
- Use any materials obtained from Planeteer Alliance HQ, or obtained as a result of Participant’s participation in Planeteer Alliance activities, for commercial or other personal financial gain;
- Engage in any activity that is illegal or fraudulent under the laws of any state or of the United States.
- Within the PlaneteerHQ platform, any content that is concerning or questionable should be reported immediately by clicking on the three dots in the offending post and clicking REPORT THIS CONTENT. That will automatically hide the content for review by the Community Managers
- If a Planeteer has an issue or concern about interactions in the community, or if a peer leader has concerns about a group member, those concerns should be brought to one of the two Planeteer Alliance Community Managers – H. Storck (firstname.lastname@example.org), or Robin Okunowo (email@example.com). The community managers will review the situation to determine the best course of action.
Virtual delivery of the Planeteer Alliance trainings are facilitated online using a series of third-party platforms and tools, with safety precautions in place to protect participants. These precautions include the following:
- As part of the registration process, participants are required to agree to the Planeteer Alliance Code of Conduct
- Links to training sessions, including Zoom meetings, are only available through access to the secure PlaneteerHQ platform.
- All online sessions are hosted and monitored by Planeteer Alliance team members (full-time staff with Captain Planet Foundation who are subject to regular background checks)
- Adult access to the site is limited to CPF team members and partners who are under a formal agreement with CPF, have gone through a background check, and have agreed to the code of conduct.
- Online communications are facilitated through the PlaneteerHQ platform, which is maintained and monitored by CPF staff members. Any participant whose communications are deemed as being in violation of the Code of Conduct will be removed immediately.
For Planeteer Alliance events that are held in person, CPF requires adults (18+ years of age) who will be in direct virtual or physical contact with youth and for whom there is moderate to high chance they would be alone with participants, to undergo a background check, per standards set by host nation. This includes partners who have supervisional duties, as well as parents and chaperones who will have access to dormitories or any facility where participants will be housed.
Any participant whose background check is flagged will be reviewed by CPF council to determine whether this offense presents a safeguarding risk to youth.